A Nation for All, H4Ck3Rs_, Gamers, Authors, LoLZ, Quiche, WTFLOLBBQ, Family, Fun, Minecraft, Starbound, Halo, Streaming

Topic: Quebec Sucks: Ban on english-only games.  (Read 1522 times)

Offline MachShot

• TORNADO!
  • Rep: 18

• Awards:
    You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for five years! Someone accepted your friend request! You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for a year! You have been a citizen of the nation for a whole 730 days!

• View Profile
Quebec Sucks: Ban on english-only games.
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:24:54 PM »
Quebec, proof that 19th century nationalism and toddler-run governments do still exist. If toddler run governments ever existed that is. In an attempt to "protect the french-speaking people's rights" to their language, a provision has been made to promote games in french. And by promote french, I mean ban English.

As of April of this year, If a game is in English-only, and a french-version or french permitting version of that game exists, it is illegal to sell that English game.

Yes, I am fully aware of the retardation of this law. Especially since it's existence could close down every game store in the CANADIAN PROVIDENCE (needed to specify, in case they forgot they didn't cecced from the nation yet). Instead of waiting 6 weeks for the next great game to come out in a language the youth doesn't give a shit about, they will travel just out of the providence to get the game elsewhere and come back.

http://www.thestar.com/article/611472

Now for a random moment for my German-side to poke fun at their french side. Haha, we still got the Alsace and Lorraine on top of the Rhine river. Our beer is better too, and we don't lie about being unable to speak English when we can damn well speak it better than a number of Americans. We can actually play a game of soccer without calling false fouls. We started both world wars and we're still more loved than you. :P

*note: fun-poking was done in a non-serious manner. In reality, Kevin would not want to f*** with a people infamous for starting riots on a monthly basis, and is very appreciative of the invention of Parkour.

Offline Bandalf1224

• VP Legend Zero
  • Rep: 21

• Awards:
    You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for five years! Someone accepted your friend request! You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for a year! You have been a citizen of the nation for a whole 730 days!

• View Profile
Re: Quebec Sucks: Ban on english-only games.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:20:42 PM »
Ha!  Interesting little news topic here Mach.

If I know one thing its that Canadians might know how to work with healthcare, but when they try to do something else in a manner that is nice, they fail completely.

Adios!  :bandalf:  *poof*
Part Of The Legend Zero Staff!

Proud creator of...

- Bandalf The Wizard (Not in ref. to LOTR)
- Bandalf's Sizzlin' Short Stories (B.Sx03)
- The Lonesome West
- Sigmund Trilogy

Adios!  *poof*

Offline Apathy Enrage

• Flag Camper
  • Rep: 4

• Awards:
    You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for five years! You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for an Olympiad! You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for a year! You have been a citizen of the nation for a whole 730 days!

• View Profile
    • Halo 3 Wheelmen
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:00:33 AM »
That is completely stupid...

That's why I'm happy to be Franco-ontarien!

Offline ShawnTG

• Production Chairman
  • Rep: 43

• Awards:
    You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for five years! Another year... another fistfight. You found another hat... MONEEEY!!!

• sbigmang23
    • sbigmang23
    • View Profile
    • SGStudio
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 09:15:30 AM »
Now for a random moment for my German-side to poke fun at their french side. Haha, we still got the Alsace and Lorraine on top of the Rhine river. Our beer is better too, and we don't lie about being unable to speak English when we can damn well speak it better than a number of Americans. We can actually play a game of soccer without calling false fouls. We started both world wars and we're still more loved than you. :P
:lol: Couldn't have put it better. 

Really?!  Quebec is banning anything that's non-French.  Really?  The only thing the French can be proud of is a useless steel-framed tower where a lot of people take the elevator to the top just to jump off!  Hell, I don't blame them.  They're in France, after all!  A place where dowsing yourself with perfume is an acceptable alternative to taking a damn shower!  A place where people who have to go #2 squat over a hole in the ground -- A HOLE ON THE FRIGGIN SIDEWALK!!  HOW DAMN DISGUSTING IS THAT?!?!

FUCK YOU, YOU DISGUSTING FRENCH! 

....ahem, so which games are officially banned?
Spoiler
desperately trying to get back on topic
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:18:52 AM by sbigmang23 »

Offline Legundo

• Head Honcho
  • Rep: 75

• Awards:
    You played in the HVD Alpha. You have 10 Friends!! You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for five years! You found the X... that probably took a while.

• LegendZero
    • TheLZNation
    • View Profile
    • The Nation
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »

You do realise none of this is against you, I hope, but the government of Quebec seems to be racest against non-french speakers, so I dunno what to say here.

Pay attention to the memberbase before going on a tangent, guys.
Leader of the LZ EMPIRE! :legend:
Time is time.  Code = Lots of time, no matter what.

Offline ShawnTG

• Production Chairman
  • Rep: 43

• Awards:
    You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for five years! Another year... another fistfight. You found another hat... MONEEEY!!!

• sbigmang23
    • sbigmang23
    • View Profile
    • SGStudio
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:34:42 AM »
yeah, we kinda went off the deep end a little, didn't we?

Owell, shit happens.  All you have to do is flush it down ;)

But the point still stands.  Quebec banning anything English is like America banning anything Japanese.  Doesn't make much sense, does it? 

Offline MachShot

• TORNADO!
  • Rep: 18

• Awards:

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 12:36:50 PM »

You do realise none of this is against you, I hope, but the government of Quebec seems to be racest against non-french speakers, so I dunno what to say here.

Pay attention to the memberbase before going on a tangent, guys.

Methinks he know's its not against him. He's calling the ban stupid, Legend.

Anyway, what better way to advance any topic by hating Quebec? :P I've even spoken to quebecians before: everyone under 25 hates the place. He're is some evidence.

Re: New Quebec Law Bans Sale of English-only Games if French
Submitted by freakyfro99 - April 2, 2009 at 7:31 pm -0500
Je m'en calisse de la version francaise!

This is why I hate living in this province...  How much more will it cost companies to sell another version of the game as well as the English version?  No one even wants the French version.  These translations never take place in Quebec, basically people will have to wait for France to make one and the Europeeans always get things a little later.  If this province ever separates I'm getting my ass out of here so fast...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 12:52:58 PM by MachShot »

Offline Apathy Enrage

• Flag Camper
  • Rep: 4

• Awards:
    You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for five years! You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for an Olympiad! You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for a year! You have been a citizen of the nation for a whole 730 days!

• View Profile
    • Halo 3 Wheelmen
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »

Offline Legundo

• Head Honcho
  • Rep: 75

• Awards:
    You played in the HVD Alpha. You have 10 Friends!! You have been a member of the Legend Zero Nation for five years! You found the X... that probably took a while.

• LegendZero
    • TheLZNation
    • View Profile
    • The Nation
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »
It's okay. I ran that through a translator (a classmate) and he just laughed.

Leader of the LZ EMPIRE! :legend:
Time is time.  Code = Lots of time, no matter what.

anything